The National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC, http://www.nersc.gov/) at Berkeley Lab is seeking a passionate individual to collaborate with scientists and conduct applied research and development, outreach and training in Machine Learning for Science.
NERSC is the mission High Performance Computing facility for the U.S. DOE Office of Science, the Nation's largest supporter of basic research in the physical sciences.NERSC supports research in biology, environmental science, magnetic fusion, high energy physics, nuclear physics, chemistry and material science.NERSC is situated at Berkeley Lab, which is located in the hills above the UC Berkeley campus, and conducts world-renowned research in both computing sciences and physics.
Successful candidates will enable Office of Science researchers to benefit from the very latest machine learning and deep learning (ML/DL) techniques, conducted on one of the world’s largest supercomputers. They will gain experience using cutting edge machine learning techniques and ‘Big Data’ technologies and tools, operating at extreme-scales and work in a collaborative environment with scientists and engineers from a wide variety of backgrounds.
You will be part of a NERSC’s Data and Analytics Services group that supports experimental science and advanced analytics. You will also be part of multidisciplinary and cross-institution projects, involving academic and industry partners such as Google, Intel, NVIDIA, and Cray, and renowned academics both in domain sciences as well as in machine-learning and statistics.
Specific Responsibilities for a Machine Learning Engineer III:
• Collaborating with scientists to develop new applications of machine learning for science - opening door to new science.
• Designing new deep learning architectures to improve potential for science discoveries in many fields.
• Bringing these techniques and the latest ML/DL frameworks and tools to NERSC users and the some of the world’s largest supercomputers.
• Provide expert ML/DL advice and consultancy services to scientists and users of NERSC computing resources.
In addition to the above, Specific Responsibilities as a level IV:
• Form new collaborations with scientists to apply cutting-edge machine learning techniques to their domains
• Lead machine-learning projects and mentor other staff to deliver these.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
• This is a full time career appointment.
• Classification will depend upon the applicant's level of skills, knowledge, and abilities.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=127748 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL,http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".
What is Required:
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree and 8 years related experience (or higher degree) or equivalent experience. (at CSE 4 level : 12 years related experience)
• Background in machine learning or statistics, including familiarity with multiple deep learning architectures and technologies.
• Some experience, knowledge and/or significant interest in applying multiple machine learningtechniques to scientific data.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• A PhD in the above numerical fields.
• A proven track record of publications in Deep Learning at machine learning or domain science venues.
• Familiarity with multiple hardware backends (e.g. CPU, GPU, FPGA)
• Familiarity with performance profiling, benchmarking, optimization and scaling of DL architectures on HPC systems