Data analysis/processing, Data collection procedures
he Data Science Institute of Columbia University invites applications to our applied Data Scientist position(s) as candidates for Research Scientist (Open Rank).
Columbia University is a leader in the burgeoning field of data science, with depth drawing from foundational strengths in computer science, machine learning, statistics and operations research, and the breadth of applications in every field of inquiry offered university-wide. Founded in 2012, Columbia’s Data Science Institute has 300 affiliated faculty from 12 different schools across the University. The Institute provides research and educational opportunities in data science as applied to the biomedical sciences, the natural sciences, the social sciences, public policy, law, business, finance, media, engineering, the arts and humanities. The Institute boasts a robust industrial affiliates program with opportunities to collaborate with domestic, international and multinational organizations and strong ties with New York City’s economic development engine, including the dynamic and rapidly growing start-up community.
The Data Science Institute at Columbia University promotes “Data for Good” through its mission: to advance the state-of-the-art in data science; to transform all fields, professions, and sectors through the application of data science; and to ensure the responsible use of data to benefit society.
Applied Research Scientists will serve as Columbia’s resident experts to foster collaborations with the world-class faculty across all the schools at Columbia University (e.g., Arts and Sciences, Business, Dentistry, Engineering, Law, Journalism, Medicine, Nursing, Public Health, Social Work); and to guide, plan, and execute data science research and technological innovation to address societal challenges and other related University-wide initiatives (e,g., Data Science Institute Quests and Columbia World Projects). They will also be encouraged to pursue their own research interests in Data Science. We are open to candidates from a wide range of backgrounds, in particular candidates with knowledge of artificial intelligence, computer vision, computing systems, machine learning, natural language processing, optimization, and statistics.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Contribute to one or more data science elements, such as large-scale data management, machine learning and statistics, interactive data visualization and specialized data presentation interfaces;
- Contribute to multi- and inter-disciplinary research projects;
- Identify opportunities for and participate in long-term research collaboration between the Data Science Institute and the various schools at the University;
- Organize and conduct training for faculty, staff, and students in data science techniques and technologies;
- Develop and release open source software;
- Develop web materials communicating significant results, best practices and case studies with specific technologies, and documentation for significant software;
- Reinforce the reputation of Columbia’s Data Science Institute as an academic leader in data science.
We expect research scientists to establish and advocate for best practices in scientific reproducibility of all results, and to promote the ethical use of data
Additionally the Data Science Institute is seeking Postdoctoral Research Scientists. More information can be found: https://datascience.columbia.edu/post-doctoral-fellows-program
Candidates must have a Ph.D.
All candidates are expected to have:
- A record of outstanding productivity, commensurate with years of professional experience, as evidenced by publications, grants, software innovation, technology transfers, and other academic and/or industrial measures of impact;
- Extensive programming experience in R and/or Python for data analysis;
- Demonstrated experience in software engineering and/or advanced statistical methods;
- Demonstrated experience communicating results through writing, visualization and presentations, both in and out of one’s own discipline;
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, and willingness to work with multiple researchers and students at all level
About Data Science Institute, Columbia University
The Data Science Institute at Columbia has a three-part mission that encapsulates the great promise this new field has to improve the quality of life for all. Our mission is:
To advance the state-of-the-art in data science;
To transform all fields, professions, and sectors through the application of data science;
To ensure the responsible use of data to benefit society.
The Data Science Institute at Columbia University is training the next generation of data scientists and developing innovative technology to serve society. With over 250-affiliated faculty working in a wide range of disciplines, the Institute seeks to foster collaboration in advancing techniques to gather and interpret data, and to address the urgent problems facing society. The Institute works closely with industry to bring promising ideas to market.
Our affiliated faculty are based in 12 schools at Columbia:
The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science
Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
School of International and Public Affairs
Columbia Business School
Columbia Journalism School
Columbia Law School
Columbia School of S...ocial Work
Columbia University Medical Center
Columbia School of Nursing
Mailman School of Public Health
College of Dental Medicine